Tuesday, August 20, 2019

No to Homer

The other day we tried to go to Homer, but the road was closed due to a forest fire.  Yesterday I read that they had opened the road up, so when we got up this morning we headed to Homer. About 45 miles later we see a sign that the road to Homer is closed and the air was getting thick with smoke. We decided to forget about Homer and go somewhere else. We turned around and headed towards Anchorage.  I did see two Beluga whales during the drive. Forest fires had that city filled with smoke. We then decided to just drive east. We drove to Palmer, then headed east on route 1 till we arrived in Tolsona. There was still a lot of smoke in the air as we drove, but it cleared out once we arrived at our destination. Along the way we saw the Matanuska glacier.  It is huge at 27 miles long and 4 miles wide.  We will probably be in Valdez tomorrow evening.

With the smoke I didn't take any pics, but last evening I took some pics of salmon near our campsite.







2 comments:

  1. Hi Kenny and Rox,
    I am out with Steve catching up, so he shared your blog with me. I absolutely love AK and am envious of your travels. Enjoy every second..
    Love

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you catch some of those salmon to grill?

    ReplyDelete